Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I'm Not Dead.

amy_wk7 1


Hey readers!

Yes I am indeed back from my completely unplanned blogging hiatus. It must be the cold. You know how bears hibernate in winter? It's been so so so chilly round these parts that I've been in my own kind of blogging hibernation. Well, that and a few shoots for work and a few nights out. I've been run off my feet!

But not to worry, I haven't completely neglected my baking mission. Over the last two weeks I baked a raspberry and coconut slice (I deviated from Hummingbird and used a Women's Weekly recipe) and Hummingbird apple and nut loaf.

Before I get into the nitty gritty, here are some bits and pieces that document the past two weeks:


echo2.001
This is Echo On the Marina Cafe in Roseville. I had a shoot there last week, and whilst the weather was dreadful, the location itself made it worthwhile being there. It's kind of tucked away by the water, and reminds me of Bewowra Waters Inn. Myself and the crew were treated to great coffees and delicious breakfasts. I went for the french toast with maple syrup, bacon and poached pear.


amy_0002_Layer 3
My ninja piggy! Awesome Frankie went out and started up my baking fundraiser at work. While she really didn't have to, it was a lovely thought. Thanks Frankie xx. Ninja piggy sits on my desk.

36931_405040860939_620720939_4934340_960740_n
M.N.O.P. Acronym parties are great. This particular night stood for 'Massive Night Of Party'. It was indeed.

28454_405040380939_620720939_4934308_294758_n
Pancakes. The easiest, tastiest shot to get down. Basically frangelico with a wedge of lemon dipped in sugar. A staple for any acronym party. Photo by Sam T.


So thats my week in review. Back to the baking stuff.

For my birthday this year, my friend Fonda very kindly sent me a Women's Weekly baking book. She couldn't have been more on the money with this book. I LOVE WOMEN'S WEEKLY!! The recipes are fool-proof and I never have any dramas with baking from them. So I decided to try out the raspberry and coconut slice.

amy_0000_Layer 5
Thanks Fonda, they turned out great. A very big hit with the work crew!


A week later, I had a flick through the Hummingbird cookbook and this description caught my eye: "This cake is very popular in Winter months...." Winter months? say no more, cause it is freeee-zing! Nutty apple loaf it was.

amy_wk7 2
Interesting ingredient: strawberry jam? I've never used jam in a loaf recipe before, and was pleasantly suprised. Not too sweet despite the chocolate pieces.

That's all for now. My fingers are so cold and they need to be directed to other things- like pressing buttons on the tv remote. I promise to never neglect my blog for this long again, but then again... the next few weeks are quickly filling up. Check back to hear what I have to say about Eclipse and Jacob's abs.

Oh, you should also check out Christine's blog. She recently made a giant Penfolds wine bottle cake which turned out pretty amazing.


Peace!

x A

2 comments:

  1. apart from the actual finished, baked products, i really like the accompanying ornaments you include with your dishes. like the fat skeleton man and the colorful pigeon. i once got tricked into eating pigeon by my parents, when i was 11, while holidaying in jakarta. they told me it was chicken, but i knew it wasn't. it didn't have the same shape as my normal chicken meals and tasted different. also the fact my sister refused to eat it tipped me off. it wasn't till after i finished my meal did they reveal their shameless secret, to which i replied 'i knew it'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kevin, I'm glad you like my post including the cute little props.

    I feel your pain. When I was 9 my mum tricked me into eating snail by telling me that it was also "chicken". Looking back though, I suppose the dead give away would've been the fact that it was stuffed into a snail shell. Mothers for you.

    ReplyDelete