Sunday, August 29, 2010

Cinnabons and the Jelly Slice that never was...

Hey all,

So here we are again on a sunny Sunday, a week and a bit since my last post. Last week I wrote that I was planning on baking something spectacular. Well it did happen, but it wasn't spectacular. It was, actually a little bit shit.

I will call this the tale of the Dale Fail. See I asked my colleague Dale what he would suggest that I bake for the next week, and he suggested I make a jelly slice which is something his mum makes really well and its "reeaalllly good" apparently. So I took up his challenge and it ended up tasting so revolting I threw it out before saving a slice for him to sample.

I don't know if it was the recipe I found from the internet, but the middle layer which consisted of condensed milk + gelatin + lemon juice was the worst bit of the slice. It tasted really odd. Odd in a sense that it wasn't very disgusting but it didn't taste very pleasant either. Anyway, after sampling it he said it was fine and blamed me for using chocolate digestive biscuits in the base.

Needless to say, I won't be attempting this one in the near future?


Moving onto my more successful baking stories, the next week I made Cinnabons (alternatively known as Cinnamon Scrolls). On a trip to the states a few years back, I tried one of these delectable baked goodies. They're served warm with the icing practically dripping when you bite into them. Sooooo good.

Then I was reminded of my love for them when Jenny made them a few months ago. It was decided then and there that I had to try these out for myself, and they were the bomb!!! Usually I avoid baking things that require kneading because I'm not really good at getting the dough to form to the right consistency, but this time it was actually pretty easy. Fail proof!

I got the recipe from Jenny's Blog which was super easy to follow. Once they were baked, all I needed to do was add the cream cheese icing ( which I used from Hummingbird). Tip: to make the icing runny, I added milk to the icing.





There you have it, I'm not sure what I'll bake this week... inspiration usually comes to me when I read about something or see it on TV. Yep I'm a total sucker for advertising.

Watch this space!

x A

1 comment:

  1. excuuuuuuuuuse me aimsballs.

    who the hell would do a chocolate biscuit base, which threw out the overall taste sensation it was MEANT to be!

    aims not following recipe = FAAAAIL

    ReplyDelete