Sunday, May 16, 2010

09.05.2010 Happy Mother's Day! (oh and Happy Birthday to me as well)




Hellooo.

So this is my first post. It also happens to be my birthday today, and what better to celebrate my own birthday, than to test my first recipe from the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook- which ended in failing. Epically.

But before I start with the baking stuff, I would like to share with you how great my birthday has been as I’ve managed to successfully drag it out for the last two weeks! It has been deemed: ‘Birthday Eating Festival’.

It started off last week with a lovely dinner with my M.C gang ( will explain title later ) and new friends at Masuya Japanese restaurant in the city, where we feasted until our bellies were content and our thirsts well-quenched with blueberry and apple cocktails. We then kicked off to Red Room for a night of old-school rnb and hip hop which was definitely a nice change of scenery. Best song of the night: ‘Mysterious Girl’ by Peter Andre. Not really rnb but it definitely made the 90’s cut. Awesome start to Birthday Festival.

Masuya salmon and sushi platter



Enjoying the sounds of Peter Andre in my Alice + Olivia birthday frock





And to finally bring the 2 day birthday festivities to an end, I had lunch at possibly one of the nicest Italian joints I’ve ever eaten at- Ventuno at Walsh Bay. We started with the Dopo Lavoro antipasti platter which consisted of an array of salt and pepper calamari, meatballs, rissoto balls and bruschetta. I was quite satisfied to have that on its own, but had to force myself to save room for the Golosa pizza. I’m pretty sure this is one of the best pizzas I’ve ever eaten. For toppings, it had mixed ham, porcini mushroom and truffle oil which I think made the pizza so great.

5 hours later… dinner at Wagaya Japanese restaurant in Haymarket( yes Japanese seems to be very popular at the moment). Company consisted of old work friends, cousin and friends. The good thing about this place is that the service is really really quick- after 10-15 minutes of ordering from the touch screen the waiters are already at your table with the food.

We ate multiples of grilled salon, grilled eel, agedashi tofu, seaweed salad ( yuuuuuuuum) and a topped it off with a giant fruit tart and cupcakes my cousin Christine baked. She’s really into decorating and making things look nice ( unlike my own baked goods- they end up looking really ugly most of the time but still taste good) and she made them look like little ice cream sundaes. Needless to say, they were the talk of the night and everybody left happy!

http://christinescakeandclothes.blogspot.com/





So that was birthday festival in a nutshell. Now for the baking disaster that happened today….

Well I was reminded by my love for blueberries when I recently watched an episode of Everyday Italian. Giada made almond and blueberry biscuits and they looked so good, so I knew I had to bake something with blueberries in them. Flashforward to a few weeks later, I bought the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook and saw the recipe for Blueberry Cake.

About an hour and half ago I thought I’d try it out, which BOMBED. What was supposed to be a beautiful golden brown cake , ended up a big gooey mess. As I was getting ready to make the frosting I noticed that the sour cream was still on my kitchen bench. Eeep. By then the batter was already in the tin and in the oven. Crap crap crap. I thought I’d leave it and see what It would look like by the end of 40 minutes, but when I poked the cake, it was super gooey and looked a bit like moisturiser. Not good.

But fear not, will tackle it again tomorrow and get it right- if it’s the last thing i do.

x A

No comments:

Post a Comment