Sunday, May 16, 2010

11.05.10 Tumblr re-post




Recipe #1 of challenge :success!

ch-ch-check it out!


Didn’t I say that I would tackle the Hummingbird Bakery Blueberry cake if it’s the last thing I do? Well, it was the last thing I did last night as I didn’t finish up until 10:30pm. Now that’s dedication for you.

So after I failed miserably with my blueberry abomination, I was only left feeling more determined to get the job done and right the next time. Following the recipe correctly this time, they ended up tasting quite yummy with the cream cheese frosting on top.

Here is Hummimgbird Bakery recipe for Blueberry Cake (which- I adapted to muffins)

Ingredients:

* 350g unsalted butter
* 350g caster sugar
* 6 eggs ( confession: I only had 4 eggs left over from the other night’s cake fail)
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 450g plain flour
* 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 280ml sour cream (note the cake will fail without this, refer to last post)
* 250g blueberries + extra to decorate
* 2 quantities cream cheese frosting
* icing sugar to decorate ( but you could do without, as the icing dissolves into the frosting anyway and just makes it sweeter)

Method

1. Preheat oven to 170C or 325F
2. Beat sugar and butter with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
3. Add eggs, one at a time to fluffy mixture. Be sure to scrape down the sides regularly.
4. Beat in vanilla extract, flour and baking powder until well mixed.
5. Mix in sour cream (note: this cake will fail without it, refer to last post)
6. Ensure that all ingredients are thoroughly combined in this last part. (My poor little sunbeam hand held beater was struggling at this part. I want a KitchenAid!)
7. Stir in blueberries- you will probably end up squishing some but as long as majority are intact its cool.
8. Pour batter into a greased tin, or patty cases into a muffin tray .Cakes will bake for aprox 40 mins, whereas my muffins were done after 30 minutes.
9. Remove cakes from the oven and leave to cool, and get ready to make the best cream cheese frosting. ever.

Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients

* 300g icing sugar sifted (I was feeling lazy at this point and couldn’t be bothered to sift, so my frosting had lumpy bits in it. Listen to the people at Hummingbird Bakery- they know their shit)
* 50g unsalted butter
* 125g cream cheese, cold

Method

1. Beat icing sugar and butter together until combined.
2. Add cream cheese and beat until mixture is light and fluffy.
3. Do not overbeat otherwise frosting will become runny (Guilty! must.read.recipes.properly)



See what I mean by the squished berries? Do not try to resist too much, berries will be squished!


My advice for ensuring that the cakes are cooked? Poke the middle with a skewer. If it comes out clean its allll goooooood. But you also don’t want them to be over-cooked either, so keep track of the time ok?



Runny frosting



My verdict: preeetttyyy delicious. More advice you say? Don’t eat after 10pm- these babies are loaded with sugar and will keep you hyperactive for hours!

So thats it, one recipe down: 59 to go.

x A

p.s has anyone tried out the new flying fox at Sydney Park? I really want to give it a go.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy Muffins! I feel privileged tasting these muffins. Definitely prefer these over the smell of your cupcakes ;)

    ReplyDelete